Metro Dart O3 is an Orbital concept to maximise public transport to its full potential to suit users by taking them direct to destination without going via the city centre unnecessary, benefiting all Ireland with direct access by linking up all transport modes together. All areas need to know how and when their area will be served in any plan. Dublin is changing with more activities moving to city’s outskirts. Public Transport must also change to meet this new challenge. O3 is designed for this to happen. This plan can be completed quickly by using a Luasbus or glider bus until a full Luas is justified. This is maximising existing facilities, by linking them for easy access to all areas. Bus remains work horse of this new transport system complimenting Luas and rail. New concepts in O3 for Bus, Quay Bus Contraflow, the 3 in 1, bus network on the outskirts, the DEW orbital bus systems on outskirts, BRT CORE system on M50, Bus Connects and existing bus network make bus great with Time Link, where all routes depart at same time at each hub for users to change to route they want. O3 plan outlines the full Luas linking network for Dublin. Initially these links will be done by Luas-Bus (glider or Q-Bus designed like Luas) immediately. Full Luas will take decades to get to all areas. G-Link Luas, section 1 is the most important route in O3 plan, Fatima to Stephens Green 1.25 miles. This creates the additional capacity on Luas to take all users arriving at Heuston. Section 2, G-Link to Dockland station ensures all users arriving at this station are dispersed direct to any area of the city. Efficiency in Luas drops after 3 lines are built with radial system as users use more than one or stay on tram too long. Orbital & G-Link solves this with direct red line to Stephens Green and Dockland rail station. Rail is designed in O3 to maximise country rail to maximum potential. By using standard rail gauge to Airport and continuing to join up with Northern Line at Donabate, allows Northern Line to more than treble the amount of trains on this line. This link up reduces the travel day for many users and the new connections on this line reduces the travel day for many more. O3 Metro Dart ensures all rail lines have direct access to Airport, including Malahide Dart. O3 makes rail easier for people accessing countryside with access from 4 outskirts stations. Dockland station a valuable station in O3 for parking trains with G-Link Luas for city access. O3 addresses the main flaw in Public Transport the Radial System all via the centre. Radial System reduces the efficiency to just above 25% as two thirds of vehicles are in the wrong place, in the wrong directions at the wrong time. Efficiency more than doubles in O3 Plan. O3 provides a transport interchange in city centre made possible by Quay Bus Contra-Flow, within two minutes of all transport routes, essential in any transport solution especially for users with a disability and avoids unnecessary crossing busy and dangerous junctions. Civic Plaza. The city needs a place where people can meet up. College Green is the ideal location and there is a simple solution in O3 for this, disrupting nobody. O3 benefits most of Ireland, but it needs a North-South Multi Use 10 in 1 Corridor between Dublin & Derry. This Corridor would include a Motorway, rail line, electricity interconnector, water, gas lines etc. Land Use is the vital element in transport planning. O3 makes full use of land use. Dublin is very fortunate with its orbital Land Use belt on the outskirts. O3 provides service road SR51 from N7 to M1 via Baldonnell, Lucan Adamstown rail station, Leixlip and Blanchardstown to service this corridor and has the potential for almost 250,000 extra jobs. This is great for country users who come just to outskirts of city and home again reducing city congestion. This creates transport balance like the Green Sandyford Luas line where usage is equal in both directions. This SR51 orbital can provide similar balance for all other radial routes. A fully designed plan keeps property values stable, no area has an advantage over another. Cost are greatly reduced by efficiency of orbital system and in congestion reduction. Park and Ride a very important component of a transport solution with a good city cycle way. The three main elements in each, Rail with Metro Dart to the Airport. Luas with G-Link and Bus with Quay Bus Contraflow, The most important of all.
20 Benefits of Quay Bus Contraflow Revolutionising Bus Public Transport
- Makes a City Transport Interchange feasible. Essential for any city.
- Segregates bus from all other traffic.
- Ideal route as there are no shops or activities on Quayside.
- Train (glide) track for quick easy bus movement and suitable exiting.
- Ideal for fast quick turnaround with u-bridge concept for better efficiency.
- Great for users with a disability, especially wheelchair users.
- Links up with all transport modes in the city centre. Great for all users.
- Reduces bus waste, reduces bus delays from traffic crossing bus lanes.
- Maximises scarce road space with less buses crossing O Connell Bridge.
- Prevents bus network locking up, vital for bus survival.
- Reduces junction crossing and eases footpath congestion.
- Makes bus system suitable and safer when changing to other routes.
- Allows business to operate on Quays, not obstructive by bus movements.
- Creates a transport balance a city needs. Reduces vehicle congestion.
- Reduces cross city routes with quick and easy change overs.
- Avoids delays due to accidents between other vehicles.
- Reduces the number of buses crossing the Luas lines, reducing delays,
- Reduces bus numbers in Dolier & Westmorland St. Space for cycle Lane.
- Facilitates covered in quality bus shelters at City Bus Interchange.
- Avoids traffic crossing bus lane on Quays. QBC/f has even more advantages.
Main principle – In solving a problem ensure you don’t create another. Isolated planning is the scourge of society. This causes major problems later as these isolated projects rarely fit into a final plan undermining good planning. 2018 O3 is Orbital 3 for bus rail and Luas. It replaces the original Circle Transport Plan. TN Luas-Bus is a Glider or Q-Bus designed like a Luas. Q – Bus = Quick Bus. U concept is also new idea in transport usage with reverse flow to maximise public transport use and efficiency to provide a better service to users aided by modern new Technology. Car – Pooling becomes more attractive with the design of Metro Dart O3 plan. O3 makes up for the slowness of Luas. More explanation of orbital O3 plan on – Youtube Tom Newton O3 Transport Plan